Sunday, May 12, 2013

Finding a place called home

     There comes a time in each of our lives when we have to figure out where we belong.  This usually comes after we figure out who we are.  Some figure out that they belong where they grew up, while others find home to be another state or country.
     While I learned a mostly about who I am, it wasn't until I came to Los Angeles that I felt this is where I belong.  As of now, I belong to two women programs and not only am I treated as the woman I am but also given the respect.  These two programs have given me the confidence needed to get a job and place.
     Let me not jump to far ahead.  I feel I need to go back to what led me to the decision to move here and what has been going on in my life until now.
     After I left NYC, I moved to Texas and realized it didn't feel like home anymore.  So, after things didn't work out with my job , I decided to move with a friend and help take care of his mom.  We moved around a bit and because my friendship with my friend became fragile and in order to save the friendship, I had to move out. 
     This left me homeless in Atlanta.
While being homeless I learned even more about myself and learned to love myself again which is something I lost after leaving NYC.I also realized that no matter what when it is said and done, family will always be there even when friends become distant.  This is one thing we where taught but you don't realise how true it is until you move around as much as I have.
     I was not happy in Atlanta, GA and so I decided to move.  I chose LA because I have a cousin here and I heard they had many resouces for those of transgender experience.  I have to say that I have seen a lot the short time I have been here.  Some good and some bad.  There are a lot of resources here for what ever your goals are.  I havr to places that have gave me the confidence needed to go after my dreams.  LA I can say, is truly my home.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you are settling in somewhere that makes you happy and supports you. :)

    ReplyDelete