Monday, March 31, 2014

The Importance of Friends and Support

There are times I post poems.  There are times I post quotes.  This blog entry however, will not have either.  This is going to be even more heartfelt then usual because I had something happen tonight that touched my heart and made me think even more about what someone mentioned for a topic.

In the past...

I have spent time homeless and am very grateful to have friends and family that where there for me.  Even though I may have kept quit during the time that I was living in shelters and on the street, I knew that I could pick up a phone and call or text my family and friends. If I wasn't able to do that, I was able to go to the library and get on Facebook or email someone.  It wasn't until I got a job that I realized what my purpose was and it wasn't until I got into recovery for addiction that I realized just what I needed to do to reach my purpose.

Some homeless individuals don't have that support because of many different reasons.  Drugs, bad circumstances, poor choices, and being gay, lesbian, or transgender.  Being of transgender experience myself, I feel we have it especially hard.  I am not saying anyone else has it any easier, but when being of transgender experience you have to deal with being misgendered by others that are homeless as well as organizations.  We also have to deal with alienation from others. 

Now...

I have a place and even more support because of recovery and attending support groups by the few organizations that are here in Los Angeles that provides services for the transgender community.  When I first got into recovery, it was because I was depressed and started to feel as if I was alone, so I had thoughts of going back into the time of drugs.  After being mugged, I realized I had to do something different.  Once in recovery, I was able to focus on myself and get to know me and my worth.

Don't get me wrong, not everyone needs recovery to figure out who they are.  But everyone needs support of some sort.  I had this lady today asked me for money.  What made it bad was she called me brother and when I snapped at her and corrected her, she seemed like she was going to cry as she apologized.  It touched my heart.  Did she truly not mean it?  I am not sure but it made me think of the importance for educating those who speak before they think and that usually deal with someone of transgender experience.  This could be family, friends, or even those that deal with the public.  Perhaps, this would be the start of someone's support system.

When I was in Texas I had a blog like this one and I posted an entry where I spoke about it takes a village (see "It takes a whole village to raise a child?").  Maybe that is what we need to do now.  Maybe giving support to someone with experience will make you a part of their village.  If you dear readers don't understand something, ask but be respectful when doing so.  Everyone's transition is personal, so if they don't answer, please don't get mad.  If you are of transgender experience don't get defensive, answer what you feel comfortable answering and if you don't, let them know that you are not comfortable answering their question.  We as woman of transgender experience and even if their are men of transgender experience need to support each other as well. 

If you get anything from this entry, it should be that we need to change our way of thinking and become supportive of each other.  Life is hard, especially for us that are transgender.  Sometimes we need our friends and supporters because we all need someone to turn to at time.  I know I did and sometimes still do and this is why I dedicate this blog entry to them.

Until next time.....Be safe and be blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely. I went through similar experiences in the early 000's and friends were.my rock. All the best, stay strong and be victorious where you stand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SlotCity Casino in Norwich, CT - Mapyro
    Find slotcity casino and other gaming facilities 울산광역 출장안마 in 광명 출장안마 Norwich, 통영 출장마사지 CT near Murphy Casino and Foxwoods in 서울특별 출장마사지 Norwich, United States. MapYO 통영 출장샵 Maps Logo.

    ReplyDelete